Friday, January 2, 2015

Kenneth Branagh on his new Cinderella

Reader chizzie-shark shared this link  with me, an interview with Kenneth Branagh about his new Cinderella movie. I love this quote, it makes me more interested in seeing his version of the fairy tale:




"Oh My Disney: One of the themes of the new film is courage. How did that inform Cinderella as a character?
Kenneth Branagh: I think that she learns to turn the other cheek with strength. She has no sense of self-pity, no sense of being a victim. She makes her own choices, She doesn’t indulge in her own pain or hardships. She looks at the world with compassion. I find her such good company because she’s so un-showy, and yet she’s so charismatic. I think she really knows herself."
Are people excited about this version? Or, like so many recent fairy tale movies, is it better not to get our hopes up? Speaking of which, who's seen "Into the Woods"? So far, other fairy tale bloggers seem pleased overall...

4 comments:

  1. I've seen Into the Woods! Many twists on the original tales and very cleverly put together. It was very moving and pretty true to the musical.

    And I'm excited to see this Cinderella too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! So far that's positive overall things from all the bloggers I read, and my sister...maybe I will actually see this in the theaters!

      Delete
  2. UPDATE: I just saw this tonight, and was completely blown away. This film probably ranks up there (in my limited experience) as one of the best fairytale films of all time; definitely one of the best by Disney. It's so good, it's actually vying with 'BATB' for top place in my personal list. You won't be disappointed, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the film and was not as impressed as everyone else. I don't think Lily James had the charisma to pull it off enough, but I did dig how they're celebrating quiet strength and compassion for others, qualities not often given the spotlight in any movie.

    ReplyDelete