Thursday, December 30, 2010

How to Make your own Beauty and the Beast Journal

This post could really be applied to making any fairy tale or any other kind of journal, but my examples are Beauty and the Beast.

For fairy tale fans who journal and also happen to be adults, it can be hard to find appropriate journals. Most look much like one of these:
So for a little more sophistication, you can create your own journal. The easiest thing to do is simply create a collage over an existing journal. You'll need a journal with a smooth cover you don't mind ruining, some kind of glue (I recommend using Mod Podge, which is made to use for collages and dries clear), and pictures you'd like. For the below images, I did internet searches for' "Beauty and the Beast" -Disney' and printed out my favorite results, or used scans of pictures from my favorite picture book version of BATB, illustrated by Angela Barrett. Surlalune's illustrations pages is also a great place to find classic fairy tale illustrations.

Collages give you a lot of freedom to be creative. Another way to create a fun journal is to reuse a children's story book cover. Techniques for this can be as simple as folding a stack of papers in half and stapling them in the middle, then gluing the outside pages to the inside covers, or you can get fancy with different kinds of bookbinding, sewing sections of paper together for more sturdy and thick books. This tutorial seems to be relatively helpful but doesn't provide help in sewing; this video shows someone sewing a book. For the one below I did the old fold-staple-glue routine.



For the journal below I sewed sections of folded paper together. I made this years ago so don't have step-by-step pictures to show what I did, but I used techniques I learned in a Japanese bookbinding class. And for those who are appalled at my turning this beautiful vintage book into a journal, in my defense, I was young and foolish and the cover had already come off; I probably wouldn't do it again now but it was one of my favorite journals to use...

6 comments:

  1. monash apa University is among the top universities of Australia, the university was established in 1958 and welcomed its first intake in 1961. At present, it wont be wrong to consider Monash as Australia one of the largest university, that has a total alumni network of over 250,000.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an informative blog you posted. Such an easy, useful and informative language you used in your blog. Just like you I also tried to use simple language for students in my Online Assignment Help, so just check and outreach my content if you think my assignment help website is informative and useful. And let me know if you think there is some need to improve my content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our online e-commerce assignment help does no longer experience any tiredness as they devote their maximum hours to creating answers. Our expert is deployed at some stage in the place and gives you an affirmative answer. We do no longer mind as you seek advice for farming the superlative tendency answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks the design of this book is just wonderful.
    Dehradun Sexy Girls

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plagiarism checker by Seo Tool Point, It’s excellent online tool that checks your contents for free plagiarism with fast and accurate results. 100% free online plagiarism indicator for you. Seo tool point is a free tool for check your contents for free plagiarism, you can check over our online Seo Tool Point plagiarism free checker. We offer this service free of cost for everyone.
    https://www.seotoolpoint.com/plagiarism-checker

    ReplyDelete